Brown bananas? Bake them.
Here's my best banana bread yet! I had a new silicon mini loaf pan to try out and I figured that while I'm trying new things, I might as well go gluten-free.
Gluten-Free Banana Bread
(makes 4 mini loaves)
4 ripe bananas
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 cup soy milk
3 tablespoons ground flax seed
1 cup organic sugar
1/4 cup peanut oil
2 1/2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
1/4 cup tapioca flour*
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Heat oven to 350º F.
- Stir flax and soy milk together in a measuring cup and set aside.
- Mash the bananas, sugar, oil and vanilla together in a medium bowl. (An immersion blender works great for this, but a fork will suffice.) Add the flax and soy milk and stir.
- In a large bowl, whisk the all-purpose flour, tapioca flour, baking soda and salt together.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until just mixed.
- Pour into a silicon baking dish or a greased mini loaf pan.
- Bake for 50 - 55 minutes.
Slice when cool, then slather with vegan butter. Mmmm.
Perfect for breakfast or afternoon tea.
*Tapioca flour is not that hard to find - look in the baking aisle among other Red Mill products; it might be called "tapioca starch." If you can't find any, use corn starch instead.
Love banana bread? Here's my whole wheat version: